A Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver shall earn points (As well as a $250 fine per item, unless otherwise noted) on his or her license for violations that occur in a commercial motor vehicle as listed below:
Violations of section 1303
- Inoperable turn signal - 6 points
- Oil/Grease/Fuel/Radiator Leak - 4 points
- Inoperable taillight - 1 point
- Inoperable headlight - 6 points
- Damaged or discolored windshield - 5 points
- Damaged/Unsecured or missing DOT Bumper - 5 points
- Damaged/Missing DOT stickers - 1 point (Fine $50 Per offense)
- Inoperable/Damaged landing gear and coupling devices(KingPin and Fifth Wheel) - 3 points
- Flat Tire - 8 points
- Leaking/Falling Cargo - 7 points
- Inoperable/Defective brakes - 4 points
- Failure to secure cargo - 1 point (EXEMPTION: Load was pre-sealed)
- Missing/Expired Fire Extinguisher - 3 points
- No/Inaccurate Bill of lading - 5 points
- Over hours logbook - 5 points and punishable by a fine of $1,000.
- falsification of logs - 2 points per offense (Fine of $250 per offense)
Amended Violations of section 404 as listed below
- 1-9 MPH over limit - 1 point
- 10-14 MPH over limit - 2 points
- *15-19 MPH over limit - 4 points
- *20+ MPH over limit - 6 points
- Violations of section 1303
- If the violation puts the vehicle out of service, all violations from that incident shall be doubled.
If a person obtains 70 points within 15 days, his or her commercial driver's license shall be suspended for 7 days.
- After the suspension the amount of points on the license shall be reduced by 30.
If a person obtains 3 violations marked with an “*” above or listed below in a 15 day period, his or her commercial driver's license shall be suspended for 24 hours:
- Any traffic violation occurring that results in a fatal accident - Add Fine $100,000
A CMVEU officer at any time during a stop can request a drug and breathalyzer test which can not be refused
- If refused it will result in a out of service status and suspension of license for 72 Hours